Saturday, April 21, 2012

Spring session 4, Caddis and wild browns

  Well everyone this post was suppose to have gone up last Friday, but i have been very busy lately with work.  None the less i still have this session fresh in my mind. I got out late morning to my favorite freestone stream and upon my arrival I saw the trout rising.  I had tied on the Hendrickson Nicheo dun to the end of my line. I made my first cast and was awarded with a healthy hard fighting wild brown.  I got a couple more from the first run I hit. Then I moved up stream, casting at the occasional rise and likely areas. I managed a few more on the way the up.  I came up to spot that has always given up a large wild brown. I watched patiently in hopes to see a rise. Then, there was a large nose that came up in the film.  I got into position, and sent a drift.  It was just a tad to the left, so i sent a second.  The trout took the Nicheo without hesitation and man did my reel sing when i lifted the rod. The fight lasted for several minutes, as there wast much of current in the area to ad in tiring the trout. The trout dogged down in a deep cut and then, POP, went the hook.  Bummer. 

     I regrouped and moved up a bit, I watched a nice seem with the ever so popular white bubble flowing down. I saw a rise, then another, but this one had a big nose, just like the previous trout.  The story repeats, in that my first cast was just to the right, and the second resulted in the reel screaming. I hook this trout in about 8" of water at the very head of the run. He took off running down to the deep cut that the other one dogged me in. I applied the brakes and was able to get him turned around.  My position this time had currents to my favor. I was able to tire the trout out so i could make the landing rather quickly.

  After releasing the brown, I figured I was good. Only fished for a little over an hour but it was a blast.  There where quite a few different bugs hatching and laying eggs. Caddis, gordons, bwo, hendricksons and even the Jersey skeeters(crane fly) were out in good numbers.   So with "more than four" I headed on back to the car.


5 comments:

  1. I see that you had a lovely time by the stream. I love that gold tone in your pictures of the brown trout. Nice caddis photos too.
    Have fun fly fishing,
    M.O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This was a memorable time for sure. What a beautiful day it was out. The camera does a great job at making the browns colors pop.

      Delete
  2. Hey JU! Nice pics of fish on steriods! Huge!
    I saw a bunch of the black bugs on the SB last week. What are they? Thx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tom, Thanks, they pulled like they were juicing. They most likely were black caddis like i have in the photo. Its the right time of the year for them. How did you make out on the SB?

      Delete
    2. They looked just like the black caddis in your pic. Jason took me to the SB to see first hand why I don't catch fish. He confirmed very quickly that it wasn't my rod & reel, or the flies I've tied, since he had one within a few seconds of borrowing my stuff. Then, with his help and patience, I had 5 on with 3 to hand over a 3 hour period. But let's see what happens next time... Be well.

      Delete