Friday, March 16, 2012

Winter session 45. Midges and baetis

Well, got out yesterday in the afternoon for some flying on my local spring creek. There were midges hatching by the thousands upon my arrival. I noticed it was ones I've seen there before. They have orange heads on them with black bodies and grey wings. I tied on a griffiths gnat tied with hen neck and an orange head. The trout couldn't refuse the fly. The midge hatched continued on but when the olives began to hatch the trout switched over. I tied on a quill wing Catskills dun, and the hatch was matched. The fly caught many fish before the hackle broke. I then switched to a size #18 quill Gordon and was back into fish. The olives were still hatching when I left.
                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment