Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tricos and Terrestrials New Jersey 8/11/11

Got out this morning for the trico hatch since it was a perfect trico morning. I staid local and fished a small spring creek near me. The same one I fished the day before. I went up stream from where I was yesterday. I did some recon in the wee hours of the morning to see what trout where around. This is ok practice to preform. I hope in the stream and walk up or down the length i'm going to fish. While I walk I am observing everything. Casting points, over hangs, undercuts, what the bottom is like in areas, what kinds of trees line the banks, open holes in the tree canopy, and of coarse what fish and how many fish I spook in the process of recon.

With the recon complete and coffee finished, I rigged up with the cripple. Some female tricos were still emerging so I fished the trico hatch water. It wasn't long before I was into fish. I had a really nice brown hooked, he ran down, I followed, he ran back up, I stripped, he turned, and the hook popped. Oh well cant land them all. But this would have been a prize fish for this creek. I picked up a couple in this area on the cripple. I moved down to the next run.

Upon arriving at the next flat, I noticed several trout rising through out. The spinners had begun to dance, and surely males were falling to the water. I was curious. I wondered with so much tree cover, would these trout take an ant during this spinner fall. Well long story short. YES they prefer it. I caught many trout on a #16 parachute ant, all black.

I worked the ant down stream prospecting, I caught many more trout. All wild browns. Everyone very pleased to eat my ant. I still have the ant. I have used it on 3 outing now. It has taken nearly 60 trout. And it looks brand new. I can't stress enough how important tight tying is to a flies longevity. The hook is a mustad signature R30. Its still pretty sharp and has no rust. Its a great hook.

The morning outing was an excellent one. Lunch was delicious. Now back out for some more terrestrial fishing.
When you see water like this, Meaning with heavy tree cover. You can bet the trout are always on the look out for ants.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



2 comments:

  1. Are you using dubbing or foam for the ant bodies? And where do you position the post, in between the segments, on top of the front one, or in front of the front one? Thanks,

    Gaeron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dubbing. Super fine. Post is located in the second part. I like siliconized poly yarn for the post.

    ReplyDelete