Sunday, August 21, 2011

Rubber legs...Do they make a fly pattern more effective?

Rubber legs are rather new to the fly tying world. Many old standard pattern have had the legs added to them. I have tied and fished rubber leg patterns, with ok success. I don't think they really are more effective than say partridge. Other than you can get a thicker profile of legs with the rubber.

I have been using life flex from hareline and I must say I do like the material, but I truly do prefer natural materials.(other than dubbin, I like synthetics and naturals) I have tied the Golden Oldie with rubber legs, instead of partridge. I gave it a fair test of fishing with it for 2 weeks. The results were low. I didn't catch nearly as many trout with the rubber leg version as I do with the standard version.

A downer of the rubber is that Ive yet to find or hear of any that can last very long.

I welcome and ask for your comments on the subject of rubber legs. Have you found them more effective???

6 comments:

  1. I find that on patterns where normally partridge and hackle is used, they aren't as effective. But on thing's like Drone Stones and rubber legged stone flies, I think they hold their own. Now if you post up the recipe for the G.O. we can see for ourselves...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your opinion Gaeron. And you just don't give up do you? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny,

    Well, you know what they (and by they I mean that guy labeled "anonymous" on those quote websites) say, “Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have an addition to make. I believe that if a fly has rubber legs and is present well, a stocked trout will take it every time. I find that is not the case with wild trout though....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rubber legs clean up and Utah knows it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's 50/50. So why waste time taking that extra step tying them in? Or even waste spending money on them legs that just come off after a few fish?

    ReplyDelete