Saturday, August 13, 2011

New Jersey spring creek. Tricos and Nymphing

I got out this morning to my local spring creek. I have been fishing this one this one a lot this week. I fish different areas each day though. It was very chilly in the wee hours of the morning. I had my coffee and watched the stream to see if any fish were working. Nothing was happen at first light, so I took a walk up stream further and found some trout working the surface.

I quickly got into a nice wild brown with my J.E.U. Trico emerger. I caught a couple more of the rising trout in this run. No more were rising so I walk back down stream. Upon my arrival there was a couple of trout rising. I got into position above them. Sent the emerger drifting and watched it disappear in a swirl. This was the only trout that wanted a trico. I switched to the black carpenter ant. I got two others with it. The last one was a runner, so he put everyone else down.

I then moved down stream to a really nice run. This run is a beautiful one. It has nice riffles leading into the head of the run. The heart is about chest deep, and then it tales out into a large shin to knee deep flat run. I got into postion at the tail, and rigged up for nymphing. I put on a tungsten bead peeking caddis, and my U.V. flash back scud. The browns just crushed the scud on almost every cast. I picked up two in the tail, 4 in the heart, and 6 in the head. One brown I caught was a really nice 16" wild. He put up a great fight, and was still feisty enough to wiggle from my hand as I attempted to get a pic of this beauty. All of its fins were in pristine condition. Red was transfused all throughout. It was a rich honey brown. One of the nicest browns I have ever caught. Also My largest for this stream.

The bite shut down at noon, and the fish became ultra spooky as the sun was position directly above. Hungry and tired, I walked back to my car. Happy, and pleased that the morning went so well. I have one more section of this stream I want to hit yet, but it will have to wait. The section I want to hit next is the tail end of the stream. The rain that's coming will cause this stream to be raging in the am. If its not, you can bet I will be hitting it. No evening fishing for me tonight......Well maybe.....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great report and fish pics. I can fish Sunday AM if we don't get all this rain tonight and the creek, stream, or river doesn't get blown out and all yohoo on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You. We are currently getting heavy rain. More through the night so they say. With all this rain a certain pa freestone gem will be prime. If your interested.

    ReplyDelete